Saturday, November 8, 2008

What makes a good corporate citizen?

This week was community involvement week.
What makes an organization a good corporate citizen?
Is it that the organization contributes to local charities?
Is it a short term program that involves giving cash to the local food bank once a year?
Is it that the organization cleans up beside their corporate head office?
These are all small actions that contribute to the potential for a good corporate citizenship.
Does the organization that your organization is supporting have any kind of link to yours? Is the link easy to follow?
There are so many questions to consider when deciding whether the organization is a good corporate citizen. Does your individual advocacy passions, or charitable ambitions closely relate to your organization's?

As a consumer, I expect the organizations I support to go that extra mile. I want these organizations to have common interests with me in the charities that they support. Does this make me a high maintenance consumer? Heck yes. It does.
In the highly competitive consumerism world I can take my business to whichever business better matches my personal agendas.
That previous statement makes me sound like a backroom dealer. But its not true. A professor in my media in a global world class once said, "Everyone has an agenda". Its the most accurate statement I can remember from those four years.
As we're thrown further into the world of communications and public relations, its easier to see that everyone's agenda plays a role. I think that this insight will help me when audience analyzes are required.

No comments: