Monday, November 3, 2008

Tomorrow's the big Election

Tomorrow's the big US election.
Will it be the Democrats, or the Republicans?

I am not attached to any particular party, even within the Canadian multiple party system. I simply try to get friends and loved ones who aren't informed about the issues and the election to get informed and involved. I'm a hardcore idealist. But very honest about it. I know that my specific vote won't determine the leader of lovely Canada. I'm ok with this, and I know that by encouraging others to become informed, I am doing my part.

Back to US politics. I am, firstly, a humanistic. I want the best for humans. Animals are important, as is the environment, but I want each person to be able to express themselves, feel free to speak their mind (as long as their speech doesn't infringe on someone else's free speech) and live the way they feel most comfortable. According to the political spectrum, I am a special interest group. I want women to have the right to choose, the right to love whomever they wish to, and the ability to earn an equal wage when compared to men.
With the US election in the United States, two of these issues may be hot button topics. For example, Sarah Palin is adamantly anti-abortionist. In California Proposition 8, could take away the rights of same-sex couples to marry. Politicans and leaders of the countries do not directly impact those who control the wages of women.

The way the campaigns have played out gives me the impression that its an US versus Them mentality. You're either with one side or the other. What about the fence sitters? Each side of the fence doesn't seem to be trying to attract the 'moderates'. According to CNN online (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/03/undecided.voters/index.html), there are at least 5% of voters who are undecided. There is less than twenty-four hours left before voting begins. Shouldn't one side be capturing these voters' attentions?

I should mention communications/PR somewhere in this posting. The message coming out of the Obama-Biden camp is one victory. Isn't this a big pre-mature and cocky? This message has the potential to turn off voters who are undecided. The McCain camp seems rather quiet, instead focusing on the last day of campagning and the swing states. Which method will prove to be successful?

According to many in the US, Obama will bring change. Says who? The media commentary? They may be able to comment on past elections, but if this is supposed to be 'the biggest election in United States history", how do they know that IF Obama wins, there will be sweeping change? Where's the proof? I apologize. I just wrote a Persuasive practices midterm. I want a logical layout, with proof. Don't try to sell me on the leader of the country using emotions. I'm a cold hearted voter and I want proof that the leader is going to do what they claim to want to. Show me the statistics, the facts, the proof. Leave the claims, the emotional appeals to those who will buy what you're selling.

I sympathize with the average United States voter. They want someone who can represent themselves in Washington. I don't think I could pick from either candidate.

Good luck Americans. The rest of the world is watching. Don't screw up.
*kate.

No comments: