Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Team Work

There's a famous statement that is supposed to summarize the ideal of team work.
"There is no I in team".

Each of our teachers promote the ideal that teamwork is abundant in the corporate world. That learning to work within teams is fundamental building block of gaining corporate experience.

Some days I wonder if this promotion of group work is a funny way for the instructors to laugh at us secretly. Or in a sympathetic manner, assist us to learn how to deal with the dreaded difficult co-worker.

To be honest, I understand the need to work in groups and teams. I get that, and I did well in Kindergarten when you were graded on how well you got along with others. But group work on at this level is just as challenging as it was when I was 5.
You've got the similar groups of kids. Those who can't share, who won't stop talking, and those who haven't started talking. What a mess.

I'm hoping that as we aim for the workplace, our goals for our teams will be focusing in the same directions. I hope that at an organization, their goals for the specific teams are the same. I hope that the level of commitment towards a goal is the same.

If not, then its time to return to Kindergarten for a lesson.

No comments: