Monday, November 17, 2008

How did I get here?

This post is my story. Its the story about how I got to be here. Not literally sitting in front of my computer, as that would be a dull story. Though my progress story may not be as interesting as I intend it to be.

So, like others in high school was thrown into the chaos of trying to pick a career. At the age of 17, I had no clue as to a career path I wished to start down. In fact, I was more confused on whether to pick college or university or trade school. So I did what each of my high school friends did. I applied to both colleges and universities.
In general I'm not outstanding at any particular subject. Some subjects I am better at. Science and math weren't my strong suit. Some of the other subjects weren't helpful in picking a career.
So I applied to five college programs and three university ones.
I had eight options. One of the eight had to come through. Awkwardly, all eight choices accepted me. Then starting throwing money around. I felt like a number being auctioned off to the higher giver of cash.
But in the long room, the highest bidder for me was my best option. I accepted Laurier Brantford's position, their residence room and their cash. For four years I helped build the newly created campus in Brantford into a vibrant community.
When I enrolled at WLU Brant, there were 250 students enrolled, some mature students, most newbies. Now through the campus grapevine I hear that their enrollment numbers are nearing two thousand students.
Last spring I returned for our first annual official reunion. It was amazing to see how many additional buildings had been converted from run down or fire damaged, to fully operational, university running campus. Instead of a run down building, there's now a campus rec complex.
Instead of an old white house, there's a student centre. It was amazing to see how many different infrastructures that my classmates and I requested, were finally being built and enjoyed.

Ah yes. Back on the path. I went to WLU Brant for four years and graduated. My major: Contemporary studies. In essence, I know a little bit about a lot of different subjects. For example, I spent two semesters learning about First Nations people. Two semesters about the environment, its legal processes, its ownership and its historical relevance to specific areas. More relating to my personal enjoyment, I spent a few semesters learning about pop culture and how to create pop culture. The lovely area of branding, consumerism and the creation of culture were just some of the areas I explored.
So then, a simliar problem appeared. What now? I had the same issue as applying for colleges. I was in the same position, except with a few letters after my name. What happens after university? More university or the workforce?
Instead, I took some time off from school. I had been in school in some form for 20 years. I needed a break. So I joined the workforce. And then got fed up and took many different personality testing, skill inventories and what sort of jobs would suit my skills and personality.
Not surprising, but public relations was the second on the list of results.
I applied, and was accepted at Conestoga College.
And that leads me to how I arrived back at college, after the roundabout route.

Thanks for allowing me the chance to re-take the trip with passengers.

No comments: